Lock Rekey Duncraig
Secure Your Property With Our Locksmith Services
What is Re-keying a lock?
Most people are not aware that almost all locks can be rekeyed instead of being replaced to change the working key for the lock. Rekeying works by replacing key pins or tumblers that alter what key will correspond with the lock. This way the entire locking mechanism doesn’t need to be replaced.
Because the cost of these pins are very cheap the primary cost is the labour of the locksmith. The end result is re-keying a lock is a lot cheaper than replacing it.
When should I Rekey my locks?
Some of the examples of when you should rekey over replacing the lock include:
- Recently moved into a new property and don’t know who else has the key.
- Lost one of the copies of the key and afraid that someone else has found it.
- Preventing access from being able to use a lock that also has a key.
- Want to match different locks to a single key (Given the locks are the same brand and keyhole)
When should I change the whole lock?
It is important to know when you should change the whole lock versus rekeying the locks. There are a number of scenarios where changing the lock will be required or preferable including:
- You want your locks to be a different colour or design.
- If you want to upgrade the security of your locks. Replacing them with high security or electronic locks.
- If the lock brands are different and you want the locks to all be able to work with the same key. The locks will need to be changed to the same brand (or have the same type of keyway)
- Where the key is not available for one or more of the locks.
There are newer types of locks that have started to introduce the an option to rekey them at home without having to take them apart or call a locksmith. However there are some flaws with these locks.
Can I rekey locks myself?
Changing standard locks can normally be performed relatively easily with a Phillips screwdriver. Rekeying locks however does require specialised tools and learning.
Professional pinning kits can be quite expensive with a kit capable of rekeying most locks starting around $250 which is well over the cost of 10 new basic locks. Aside from the cost however if your unsuccessful in rekeying the lock, it will often result in entirely ruining the lock.
Need a Fast Response?
Our locksmiths ensure to arrive as soon as possible for emergency situations. We understand that response times are important in these scenarios. Almost all lockout situations can be resolved in 5 minutes.
If you need emergency assistance for your Duncraig property contact Ultimate Lock & Security on 0481 365 902.
Other Services We Offer
Residential | Commercial | lockouts | Open Safes | High Quality Locks
Key Cutting | Broken Keyes
Master Keys | Industrial Keys
Lost & Stolen
Emergencies | Short Notice | Day or Night | Onsite Key Cutting
24/7 Availability | Professional Team | Efficient | Experienced
24/7 Availability | Immediate Assistance | Provide Access
24/7 Emergency Availability for Locksmith Duncraig
Lock related emergencies don’t wait for a convenient time of day and we understand that you need immediate assistance when you are locked out of your Duncraig home.
Contact our professional and friendly locksmiths any time of day for urgent locksmith assistance for any lock related issue on 0481 365 802.